This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]

Re: egcs build report


On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

>On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>> Yes, we want -g included in the flags by default.
>
>Why?
>
>IMHO, this makes egcs more ``expensive'' in terms of disk space and
>build time, and I'd say that 99% of all _users_ will never use it. 

It's not just an HO.  Removing -g saves 50 megabytes (as I recall).
The build is also faster (sorry I don't remember the numbers by now, but
just writing 50 megs takes a while).

I'm quite happy with egcs.  1.0.3 compiles the kernel just fine on Alpha,
and I haven't had any of those pesky fatal signal errors gcc used to give
me.  I'm also running it out of /usr/local, and the stock gcc is still in
/usr, and they coexist nicely (though I never use gcc).

>Could it make sense not to include -g for releases?

Yes it could.  Or make it simpler to remove at configure time. --enable-g
or something (disabled by default).  Egcs is fairly stable at this point.
If it were dumping core I'd tell you, don't worry. :-)

Dr. Tom Holroyd
Behavior Control Lab, Human Informatics Dept.            The basis of
National Institute of Bioscience and Human-Technology    stability is
1-1 Higashi, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305, Japan             instability.
The 9th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution:
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be
construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."



Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]