Re: Proposed new tree node for gcc

  In message <199803280914.BAA22817@cygnus.com>you write:
  > One might say that this is excessive or premature space optimization.
  > However, we know that many large compiles have problems due to large
  > memory usage, so we might as well be economical, especially when
  > there is no real reason not to be.
The vast majority of the memory usage problems have been in the
optimizers -- usually due to the need to allocate 1d and 2d arrays
based on register #s or INSN_UIDs.

I think the only time we've had any significant problems with the
tree space was when we used to have -fcombine-statics, which went
around copying nodes from temporary trees into permanent trees.

I'd kinda prefer to wait until we know that we're causing a memory
issues before making a hack like is being suggested.

jeff