This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: egcs 1.0.2 c++ .o size
- To: Joern Rennecke <amylaar at cygnus dot co dot uk>
- Subject: Re: egcs 1.0.2 c++ .o size
- From: Brian Glendenning <bglenden at aoc dot nrao dot edu>
- Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:59:30 -0700
- CC: egcs at cygnus dot com
- Organization: National Radio Astronomy Observatory
- References: <199803261534.PAA09782@phal.cygnus.co.uk>
> > Our binaries are already embarrasingly large - I'd hate to have them
> > become 50% more so!
> Since 2.7.2 , exception handling has been added. You can use the
> -fno-exceptions option to avoid the overhead of exception handling.
OK thanks - indeed that gets our objects down to about the same size (still
about 5% larger).
Is the 50% size penalty going to continue into the future? We have an
exception emulation (setjmp/longjmp, keeping classes derived from "Cleanup"
in a list) that we'd dearly like to get rid of, but 50% is a fairly steep
price to pay.