This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
egcs 1.0.2 c++ .o size
- To: egcs at cygnus dot com
- Subject: egcs 1.0.2 c++ .o size
- From: Brian Glendenning <bglenden at aoc dot nrao dot edu>
- Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:25:11 -0700
- Organization: National Radio Astronomy Observatory
We have a largish (wc -l *.cc *.h = 780k) set of libraries and
applications (primarily) written in C++. The code is fairly heavily
While trying egcs, I noticed that the .o files and resulting executables
are about 50% larger than their g++ 2.7.2 counterparts when compiled
optimized (-O2 in both cases) on solaris. Is this common, or is
something bad probably happening (e.g. inlines going static). If
something bad is probably happening, what are the usual suspects?
Our binaries are already embarrasingly large - I'd hate to have them
become 50% more so!
[The debug binaries are about 25% larger]