Re: My egcs patch for Alpha

	As an aside, can someone tell me why the test immediately above mine
	tests to see if the new code is the same as the original pattern's
	code?

I think the assumption here is that if the code is the same, then the recursive
make_compound_operation call didn't do anything, and hence there is nothing
new to substitute in.

	Along the same lines, is there any point in my test for paradoxical
	subreg?

I don't see any need for this test either.

+ 	  PUT_MODE (tem, mode);

The patch looks OK to me, however, this PUT_MODE call looks unsafe.  We must
be able to undo all changes if the result fails to match the md file, but we
can't undo a PUT_MODE.  Hence this will fail if tem happens to be shared with
the original RTX for the insn.  You should use gen_rtx_combine instead.

Jim