This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Problems building egcs-1.0.1 on HP/UX 10.20
- To: Jim Wilson <wilson at cygnus dot com>
- Subject: Re: Problems building egcs-1.0.1 on HP/UX 10.20
- From: Jeffrey A Law <law at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 00:37:02 -0700
- cc: Steinar Bang <sb at metis dot no>, egcs at cygnus dot com
- Reply-To: law at cygnus dot com
In message <199803240115.RAA09640@rtl.cygnus.com>you write:
> Building runtime libraries
> cc -DIN_GCC -g -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAIFA -o collect2 collect2.o tl
> ink.o hash.o \
> cplus-dem.o underscore.o version.o choose-temp.o obstack.o alloca.o
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
> __main (code)
> *** Error exit code 1
> For some reason, make rebuilt files in the gcc directory that were already
> (or should have been) up to date. It used the wrong compiler when it did
> this (cc instead of stage2/xgcc) which caused the link to fail. The proble m
> here is that it should not have tried to rebuild the files.
> Did you use GNU make? If not, try that. Many different non-GNU makes
> have problems building gcc/egcs correctly.
This is typical on an HPUX system. The hpux make consistently
tries to rebuild files which are up-to-date. This results in
various problems of this nature.
GNU make doesn't have this problem.