This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Executable size increase using egcs 1.0.1 on Solaris 2.6
- To: Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg at krdl dot org dot sg>
- Subject: Re: Executable size increase using egcs 1.0.1 on Solaris 2.6
- From: Jim Wilson <wilson at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 16:44:01 -0800
- cc: egcs at cygnus dot com
This size increase is due to the EH support in the startup files, crtbegin.o
and crtend.o, which causes a bunch of EH related stuff from libgcc.a to be
linked in. The -fno-exceptions option has no affect on the startup files,
so this won't help.
We can reduce the size of this stuff by changing the structure of libgcc.a.
Currently, crtbegin will call register_frame_info, which is in frame.c, and
this causes us to drag in the entire frame.o object file and everything it
calls. If register_frame_info was in a separate module, then we would end
up with a lot less extra code.