Re: ingore warnings option?

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Williams <bob@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil> writes:

 Robert> Is there an "ignore warnings" option to g77 as in gcc's -w?
 Robert> (-w doesn't appear to work in egcs g77).  I'm trying to
 Robert> compile GAMESS, which uses arguments in subroutine calls that
 Robert> do not head argument type.  I get warnings about this, and no
 Robert> object code is produced.

Presumably when you say `warnings' you mean errors?

Which version of GAMESS?  AFAIK the UK one should compile, and I can
berate someone if not.  I also remember a report of success and good
speed with another (the other?) version, though g77 may be diagnosing
more since then.  Some of the `-fugly' options listed in the manual
might help, but probably not.  The opportunity should be taken to fix
the code.

Note that in certain circumstances on x86 for instance you necessarily
lose by confusing real and integer because of the way the FPU works.
If g77 refuses to compile something it's usually for a good reason,
though sometimes due to infelicities of design/implementation.

 Robert> In the good old days fortran programmers didn't worry too
 Robert> much about type mismatches.  Memory is memory, and character
 Robert> strings were, after all, declaired as arrays of type REAL*4.

In the bad old days of `everything's a VAX', people did various
naughty things and got bitten each time they had to migrate the code
to something else.  Theye just never learnt the lesson...

[It would help if people could use more specific subjects mentioning
`fortran', `g77' or something for those of us who don't/can't read
everything.]