Re: c/10321: CC internal error

The following reply was made to PR c/10321; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "David Turgeon" <daveturgeon at catholic dot org>
To: <ljrittle at gcc dot gnu dot org>, <daveturgeon at catholic dot org>, <gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org>,
   <gcc-prs at gcc dot gnu dot org>, <nobody at gcc dot gnu dot org>, <gcc-gnats at gcc dot gnu dot org>
Subject: Re: c/10321: CC internal error
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:47:16 -0600 (CST)

 > Synopsis: CC internal error
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
 > State-Changed-By: ljrittle
 > State-Changed-When: Fri Apr 11 22:27:10 2003
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     Thank you for posting the preprocessed code.  I can compile it with
 > GNU C version 3.2.2 (i386-portbld-freebsd4.7) &
 >     GNU C version 3.2.2 [FreeBSD] 20030205 (release)
 > (i386-undermydesk-freebsd) [as installed on FreeBSD 5.x]
 >
 >     The example required >64MB of memory to compile.  Does your
 >     machine have enough swap configured?
 >     The exact error message you reported is indicative of out-of-memory
 > (check /var/log/messages for a message that looks like:
 >     Apr  3 21:14:19 latour /kernel: pid 74396 (cc1), uid 22303, was
 > killed: out of swap space)
 I will be sure to check for that error message when I install 5.0 again
 and if I run into the same problem.  I believe I had 64 mb of memory on
 the machine, unfortunenately I installed 4.8 recently and compiled it
 successfully.  But FreeBSD 5 could have higher requirements than 4.8.  I
 will probably install 5 on a different machine just to see if I have that
 same problem at a later date though, and I will check on that error
 message.  I have always been told to always go with twice as much memory
 for swap space as actual memory.  Do I ever need to go above this?  For
 example, if I have a 486 dx2 with 16 mb of ram should i install FreeBSD 5
 and only 32 mb of swap space, or do i need to go with 64 mb of swap space
 just to avoid this problem.  Thanx for your time.

 --
 Sincerely,

 Dave Turgeon

 Meet the Reluctant Saint, Palm Sunday, April 13, 7pm ET/PT,
 on Hallmark Channel. http://www.reluctantsaint.tv

 During the Lenten Season, please help support the mission of
 Catholic Online by purchasing goods and services from our sponsors
 at http://www.catholic.org/clife/lent