driver/9822: The "%c" spec option produces: gcc: spec failure: unrecognized spec option 'c'

>Number:         9822
>Category:       driver
>Synopsis:       The "%c" spec option produces: gcc: spec failure: unrecognized spec option 'c'
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          doc-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Feb 24 06:36:00 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     bradley-gnu at bradley dot lcs dot mit dot edu
>Release:        gcc-3.2.1
>Environment:

I tried to write a spec file that used the %c option, but it is no longer accepted by the driver.  The error is printed by line 5234 of gcc.c.

The gcc.info documentation says that %c is accepted, however:
> `%c'
>     Process the `signed_char' spec.  This is intended to be used to
>     tell cpp whether a char is signed.  It typically has the
>     definition:
>          %{funsigned-char:-D__CHAR_UNSIGNED__}

This is probably a documentation bug, rather than a code bug.

The documentation on the spec files seems quite out-of-date.
For example, I cannot figure out, from the documentation, what does this entry mean in the spec file.
 %{fsigned-char&unsigned-char}