Re: optimization/9052: in C code, "if" statement fails to execute if optimized

The following reply was made to PR optimization/9052; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr>
To: Steven Bosscher <s.bosscher@student.tudelft.nl>
Cc: Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com,
 gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org,
 gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
 nobody@gcc.gnu.org,
 phama@webjockey.net
Subject: Re: optimization/9052: in C code, "if" statement fails to execute  if optimized
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:49:31 +0100

 > How about 8445, 9654?  Those are "bugs" that disappear with
 > -ffloat-store, too.  Like I said, I don't know enough about floating
 > point numbers...

 Toon seems to think that PR fortran/8445 is indeed the same problem. But it's
 up to him to decide whether to close the bug.

 PR optimization/9654 is exactly the same problem: using FP registers on x86
 adds extra-precision which can modify comparison results. Nothing can be done
 about that, other than using -ffloat-store which is precisely intended to
 address the issue.

 --
 Eric Botcazou