Re: c++/9558: subclass cannot find parent members without explicit"this->" in some cases

The following reply was made to PR c++/9558; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Ryan C. Gordon" <ryan@epicgames.com>
To: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
   gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/9558: subclass cannot find parent members without explicit
 "this->" in some cases
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 21:26:26 -0500

 > So, what is right and what is wrong? And what is the "real world" you
 > quote?

 Okay, I'll grant that.  :)

 After thinking about it, (and based on the initial response of "can we
 add this as a FAQ to non-bugs"), perhaps the problem is in the error
 message more than the behaviour. My assumption was this was a problem in
 the new parser and that it wasn't resolving because something had
 confused it. Is there a way to differentiate between this and a variable
 that absolutely positively does not exist, and issue a different error
 message? I think that would at least stop more incorrect bug reports on
 the issue.

 At either rate, sorry to waste your time on this...I'll try to be a
 little more researched in the future.

 --ryan.