Re: c/9390: Segmentation Fault when compiling for athlon withLANG=es_ES@euro or LC_ALL=es_ES@euro

The following reply was made to PR c/9390; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: david@aspl.es, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c/9390: Segmentation Fault when compiling for athlon with
 LANG=es_ES@euro or LC_ALL=es_ES@euro
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:15:18 -0600 (CST)

 On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

 > On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:
 >
 > > Well, I am happy to reopen this if you insist. However, there is a more
 > > structural problem, which will not be solved by just finding out the one
 > > message that caused the ICE here, so I don't think there is much value in
 > > just fixing this one. The problem is thet we have tons of messages like
 > >   "Don't do %X with %Y using %Z"
 > > and translations like
 > >   "Versuch %X mit %Z zu tun"
 > > Here, the number of %-sequences don't match, which leads to the ICE. I had
 > > identified this sometime back last November (+- 1 month; see the mailing
 > > list archives), and a quick scan showed that we literally hundreds of
 > > these cases.
 >
 > Were those hundreds reported to the language translation lists?  Every
 > such case needs fixing at some point, and only the translators can fix
 > them.  There's no point in delaying the fixes for known bugs - which will
 > be exactly the same fixes with or without the infrastructure to detect
 > those bugs - because more bugs might be detected later.

 I wrote a little script that tried to find these problems. See the thread
 that started at
 There's extensive discussion with Zack about the problem and how he thinks
 this should be fixed/tackled.

 > If the bugs are
 > reported to the maintainers of the translations now (presuming that the
 > bugs are still present in the .po files on the TP site, not just the old
 > versions in GCC CVS) then we can have a more reliable 3.3 release.

 I don't think this was reported to the translation maintainers. I was
 fairly new to gcc processes back then. I would appreciate if you could
 take the necessary steps.

 > > With respect to this particular case: we already have at least one
 > > prototypical report about this open. I closed this one as kind-of-a-
 > > duplicate.
 >
 > A report about this exact message, for this language?  If so - and only if
 > so - it is appropriate to close this as a duplicate.  If for a different
 > message or language, this is a separate GCC bug, which should be open
 > until it has been fixed by the maintainers of the translations and the
 > fixed .po file committed to GCC.

 The original bug (PR 7765) was against the french translation.

 I'll reopen 9390.

 W.

 Wolfgang Bangerth             email:            bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                               www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth/