Re: c/9390: Segmentation Fault when compiling for athlon withLANG=es_ES@euro or LC_ALL=es_ES@euro

The following reply was made to PR c/9390; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: david@aspl.es, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c/9390: Segmentation Fault when compiling for athlon with
 LANG=es_ES@euro or LC_ALL=es_ES@euro
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:28:08 -0600 (CST)

 > > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
 > > State-Changed-By: bangerth
 > >     Another one of these nasty translation problems. The
 > >     translation files are wrong, with some messages using more
 > >     or less parameters than the english original. This leads to
 > >     the ICE.
 > >
 > >     We need to get methods in place to check for this...
 > >
 > >     Sorry, there is not much that we can do about it for now.
 >
 > Translation bugs are still bugs in GCC, although they need to be forwarded
 > to the relevant language team to be fixed.  They should not be closed in
 > the GCC bug database until fixed in GCC (i.e., until the new .po file is
 > in GCC CVS).  Has such a .po file been committed?  Have you forwarded the
 > report to the relevant translation team?

 Well, I am happy to reopen this if you insist. However, there is a more
 structural problem, which will not be solved by just finding out the one
 message that caused the ICE here, so I don't think there is much value in
 just fixing this one. The problem is thet we have tons of messages like
   "Don't do %X with %Y using %Z"
 and translations like
   "Versuch %X mit %Z zu tun"
 Here, the number of %-sequences don't match, which leads to the ICE. I had
 identified this sometime back last November (+- 1 month; see the mailing
 list archives), and a quick scan showed that we literally hundreds of
 these cases.

 We need to have a process that prevents this up front. Just fixing
 individual messages is not sufficient.

 With respect to this particular case: we already have at least one
 prototypical report about this open. I closed this one as kind-of-a-
 duplicate.

 W.

 Wolfgang Bangerth             email:            bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                               www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth/