This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Update comment of removed options.
- From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely dot gcc at gmail dot com>
- To: Martin Liška <mliska at suse dot cz>
- Cc: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>, Marek Polacek <polacek at redhat dot com>, Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>, Nathan Sidwell <nathan at acm dot org>, Iain Sandoe <idsandoe at googlemail dot com>, "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, David Edelsohn <dje dot gcc at gmail dot com>, Jan Hubicka <hubicka at ucw dot cz>, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>
- Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 12:34:52 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Update comment of removed options.
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAFiYyc0jH_-G46Lpe=Uu+vLAm5J9A-eK3uqB0X2kDAsfq6oMng@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CAH6eHdTTZw0_vw-gjNcJjpu81yr-TvGEXXwJCaxbdi9zQefirstname.lastname@example.org> <CAFiYyc1NUtVggkd_Ht2yqaOpvmZUzbN89DW3w7wHYQ8ZEUC5email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <20190906144853.GD14737@redhat.com> <20190906145640.GI2120@tucnak> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20190909110819.GQ2120@tucnak> <email@example.com>
On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 at 12:24, Martin Liška <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On 9/9/19 1:08 PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 01:02:32PM +0200, Martin Liška wrote:
> >> On 9/6/19 4:56 PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> >>> On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 10:48:53AM -0400, Marek Polacek wrote:
> >>>> On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 08:58:48AM +0200, Martin Liška wrote:
> >>>>> Ok, hopefully nobody is strongly against. I've just retested the
> >>>>> patch and installed it as r275450.
> >>>> --- a/gcc/c-family/c.opt
> >>>> +++ b/gcc/c-family/c.opt
> >>>> @@ -1763,8 +1763,8 @@ ObjC ObjC++ LTO Var(flag_replace_objc_classes)
> >>>> Used in Fix-and-Continue mode to indicate that object files may be swapped in at runtime.
> >>>> frepo
> >>>> -C++ ObjC++
> >>>> -Enable automatic template instantiation.
> >>>> +C++ ObjC++ Deprecated
> >>>> +Deprecated in GCC 10. This switch has no effect.
> >>> The Deprecated keyword is just misnamed, I believe it does the same thing as
> >>> Ignore, except that it also prints a warning that the switch is no longer
> >>> supported, so kind like Ignore Warn(switch %<-frepo%> is no longer supported).
> >>> The description should be just This switch has no effect. or
> >>> Does nothing. Preserved for backward compatibility.
> >> I verified the description and it's fine to me:
> >> frepo
> >> C++ ObjC++ Deprecated
> >> Deprecated in GCC 10. This switch has no effect.
> > This first part looks wrong to me.
> > "deprecated
> > (computing) Obsolescent; said of a construct in a computing language considered old,
> > and planned to be phased out, but still available for use."
I agree with this definition. If it's deprecated it still needs to be
available for use.