This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH], Add future cost placeholder to PowerPC
- From: Michael Meissner <meissner at linux dot ibm dot com>
- To: Segher Boessenkool <segher at kernel dot crashing dot org>
- Cc: Michael Meissner <meissner at linux dot ibm dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, dje dot gcc at gmail dot com
- Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 16:43:05 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH], Add future cost placeholder to PowerPC
- References: <20190801194756.GA11962@ibm-toto.the-meissners.org> <20190801212610.GW31406@gate.crashing.org>
On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 04:26:11PM -0500, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 03:47:56PM -0400, Michael Meissner wrote:
> > Add future_cost placeholder.
> > Currently, the -mcpu=future uses the power9 costs. This patch separates out
> > the cost to a separate structure so that in the future we can tweak the costs
> > as needed.
> Is there any reason for this? At least when it actually points to the
> power9 costs it is clear it is just a placeholder.
The main reason was you had asked for it many, many months ago on the internal
branch. But until we actually need to change the values, it doesn't need to be
Michael Meissner, IBM
IBM, M/S 2506R, 550 King Street, Littleton, MA 01460-6245, USA
email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +1 (978) 899-4797