This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH 1/3][GCC] Add new target hook asm_post_cfi_startproc
- From: Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>
- To: Sam Tebbs <Sam dot Tebbs at arm dot com>, Richard Biener <rguenther at suse dot de>
- Cc: "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Richard Earnshaw <Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com>, "jakub at redhat dot com" <jakub at redhat dot com>, nd <nd at arm dot com>, "law at redhat dot com" <law at redhat dot com>, "ccoutant at gmail dot com" <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 14:03:58 -0500
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3][GCC] Add new target hook asm_post_cfi_startproc
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <alpine.LSU.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On 11/5/18 5:18 AM, Sam Tebbs wrote:
On 11/05/2018 07:54 AM, Richard Biener wrote:
On Fri, 2 Nov 2018, Sam Tebbs wrote:
On 11/02/2018 05:28 PM, Sam Tebbs wrote:
This patch adds a new target hook called "asm_post_cfi_startproc". This hook is
intended to be used by the aarch64 backend to emit a directive that enables
support for unwinding frames signed with the pointer authentication B-key. This
hook is triggered after the ".cfi_startproc" directive is emitted in
Bootstrapped on aarch64-none-linux-gnu and tested on aarch64-none-elf with no regressions.
Ok for trunk?
Can you explain why existing prologue/cfi emission points are not
I couldn't find any target hooks that were triggered at the
assembly-printing level at the correct point in time (after
.cfi_startproc is emitted), please do point me to one if that is not the
An alternative could have been to implement a new reg_note but that
would have meant adding target-specific code to target-agnostic files
and wouldn't have been as flexible.
And this seems consistent with the other stuff in
dwarf2out_do_cfi_startproc. You might amend the documentation to
mention that the expected use is to add more .cfi_* directives. OK with