This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH 1/3][GCC] Add new target hook asm_post_cfi_startproc
- From: Sam Tebbs <Sam dot Tebbs at arm dot com>
- To: Richard Biener <rguenther at suse dot de>
- Cc: "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Richard Earnshaw <Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com>, "jakub at redhat dot com" <jakub at redhat dot com>, nd <nd at arm dot com>, "law at redhat dot com" <law at redhat dot com>, "jason at redhat dot com" <jason at redhat dot com>, "ccoutant at gmail dot com" <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 16:16:38 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3][GCC] Add new target hook asm_post_cfi_startproc
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <alpine.LSU.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On 11/5/18 10:18 AM, Sam Tebbs wrote:
> On 11/05/2018 07:54 AM, Richard Biener wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Nov 2018, Sam Tebbs wrote:
>>> On 11/02/2018 05:28 PM, Sam Tebbs wrote:
>>>> Hi all,
>>>> This patch adds a new target hook called "asm_post_cfi_startproc". This hook is
>>>> intended to be used by the aarch64 backend to emit a directive that enables
>>>> support for unwinding frames signed with the pointer authentication B-key. This
>>>> hook is triggered after the ".cfi_startproc" directive is emitted in
>>>> Bootstrapped on aarch64-none-linux-gnu and tested on aarch64-none-elf with no regressions.
>>>> Ok for trunk?
>> Can you explain why existing prologue/cfi emission points are not
> I couldn't find any target hooks that were triggered at the
> assembly-printing level at the correct point in time (after
> .cfi_startproc is emitted), please do point me to one if that is not the
> An alternative could have been to implement a new reg_note but that
> would have meant adding target-specific code to target-agnostic files
> and wouldn't have been as flexible.
>>>> 2018-11-02 Sam Tebbs<firstname.lastname@example.org>
>>>> * doc/tm.texi (TARGET_ASM_POST_CFI_STARTPROC): Define.
>>>> * doc/tm.texi.in (TARGET_ASM_POST_CFI_STARTPROC): Define.
>>>> * dwarf2out.c (dwarf2out_do_cfi_startproc): Trigger the hook.
>>>> * hooks.c (hook_void_FILEptr_tree): Define.
>>>> * hooks.h (hook_void_FILEptr_tree): Define.
>>>> * target.def (post_cfi_startproc): Define.
>>> CCing global reviewers and dwarf maintainers.
ping 4. There are previous pings in another thread with more maintainers
CC'ed, but pinging here as this is where the conversation has been.