This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [patch 1/28] top-level: Use automake-1.11.6
- From: Michael Haubenwallner <michael dot haubenwallner at ssi-schaefer dot com>
- To: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Bernd Edlinger <bernd dot edlinger at hotmail dot de>
- Cc: Paolo Bonzini <bonzini at gnu dot org>, DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>, Nathanael Nerode <neroden at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat dot com>, Ralf Wildenhues <ralf dot wildenhues at gmx dot de>, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw at lug-owl dot de>, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Janne Blomqvist <jb at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Kai Tietz <ktietz at redhat dot com>, Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 18:41:00 +0200
- Subject: Re: [patch 1/28] top-level: Use automake-1.11.6
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5548E9C3 dot 1090408 at ssi-schaefer dot com> <5549D5F1 dot 50308 at ssi-schaefer dot com>,<alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1505061554210 dot 21257 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <DUB118-W1661F951B67EAF76890D01E4DF0 at phx dot gbl>,<alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1505071523270 dot 19474 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk>,<DUB118-W1623644A5CFCDA450141BAE4DE0 at phx dot gbl>,<alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1505081637300 dot 9636 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk>,<DUB118-W47032F9606BE2F461E1FA0E4DE0 at phx dot gbl>,<alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1505082018570 dot 18504 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <DUB118-W1C64254D8BA3521B251B4E4DD0 at phx dot gbl> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1505111750450 dot 4518 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <5551BDC3 dot 5070002 at ssi-schaefer dot com>
On 05/12/2015 10:45 AM, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> On 05/11/2015 07:55 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 May 2015, Bernd Edlinger wrote:
>>> But maybe you would like it better if we update, for instance, to:
>>> automake-1.14 _and_ autoconf-2.69 ?
>> Updating to current automake and autoconf release versions (but still
>> using git versions of the toplevel scripts, not those from particular
>> releases) is a good thing - remembering that toplevel is shared with the
>> binutils-gdb and newlib-cygwin repositories (unfortunately some files
>> sometimes get out of sync, especially in newlib-cygwin which people
>> commonly don't update when changing the other repositories), so if
>> subdirectories in those repositories aren't updated at least ensure that a
>> mixture of versions (toplevel using a newer version than some
>> subdirectories) works.
> I'm all fine to omit this top-level downgrades and regenerate without the
> "--add-missing --copy --force-missing" automake flags. Feels more obvious
> anyway, otherways "--enable-maintainer-mode" should use them already.
It turns out that besides the top-level ones there are more copied-from-automake
files in various library dirs - where some of them seem quite outdated actually:
As they don't seem to make troubles, I prefer to leave them untouched as well.