This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] PR bootstrap/65176: config.guess failed to guess machine with 64-bit kernel and 32-bit user space
- From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, "config-patches at gnu dot org" <config-patches at gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 18:52:51 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] PR bootstrap/65176: config.guess failed to guess machine with 64-bit kernel and 32-bit user space
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150223171743 dot GA32755 at intel dot com> <20150223174025 dot GJ1746 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <CAMe9rOq=LMarxk4gHq0rxA6sAM9GwjjD7bHsaS0TNkj=rUf_kA at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 09:49:43AM -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Jakub Jelinek <email@example.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 09:17:43AM -0800, H.J. Lu wrote:
> >> 32-bit and x32 user-space environments may be running under Linux/x86-64
> >> kernel. Using "uname -m" isn't sufficient to properly detect the
> >> canonical system name for 32-bit and x32 user-space environments. This
> >> patch checks if compiler is configured for 64-bit, 32-bit or x32 objects
> >> under Linux/x86-64 kernel.
> >> Tested with 64-bit, 32-bit and x32 user-space environments under
> >> Linux/x86-64 kernel. I am not sure if this will ever be accepted in
> >> upstream since the config.guess maintainer doesn't want to add a new
> >> use of set_cc_for_build to config.guess. set_cc_for_build is used for
> >> Linux:
> > Ugh, isn't this what setarch is meant for?
> It doesn't cover x32.
So extend it for x32?
I mean, this is the way various other Linux arches work (e.g. powerpc*, s390*,
sparc*, etc.), you are trying to do something different and again for x86