This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: ping #3: [RFA] Add --with-libz-prefix option in config/zlib.m4
- From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- To: Mark Wielaard <mjw at redhat dot com>
- Cc: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, GDB <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 21:41:44 +0100
- Subject: Re: ping #3: [RFA] Add --with-libz-prefix option in config/zlib.m4
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150107144548 dot GX5432 at adacore dot com> <20150218120841 dot GD23529 at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOp9YQrhwwrmqRa+a-04BNvd+p9_MVgxkiVhgt+6TkDb7g at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150218165457 dot GU544 at vapier> <CAMe9rOqVim3=-RCuWE6GnMKoQ1v9WKaDqfaS2k8MpDz7rA_y3g at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150218194443 dot GW544 at vapier> <CAMe9rOqB=zd21_q_C3OGVveza8-y44L2_VntsBZ=C=iBQaaDEA at mail dot gmail dot com> <1424291541 dot 23458 dot 28 dot camel at bordewijk dot wildebeest dot org>
- Reply-to: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 09:32:21PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > Can you elaborate?
> That doesn't seem like a smart default. And why is is Linux/x86 only?
> Shouldn't that be something that is done explicitly by a distro
> configuring binutils after making sure it actually is beneficial
> (debuginfo is often compressed in a different way, on the package/file
> level or with dwz). And after making sure all tools actually work with
Yeah, dwz doesn't handle those, I think debugedit used by rpm doesn't
either. When stripping into files, it would seem to be smarter to just
compress the separate debug files rather than compressing individual