This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: ping #3: [RFA] Add --with-libz-prefix option in config/zlib.m4
- From: Joel Sherrill <joel dot sherrill at oarcorp dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, GDB <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:00:18 -0600
- Subject: Re: ping #3: [RFA] Add --with-libz-prefix option in config/zlib.m4
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150107144548 dot GX5432 at adacore dot com> <20150218120841 dot GD23529 at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOp9YQrhwwrmqRa+a-04BNvd+p9_MVgxkiVhgt+6TkDb7g at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150218165457 dot GU544 at vapier>
On 2/18/2015 10:54 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2015 04:56, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:08 AM, Joel Brobecker <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 06:45:48PM +0400, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>>>> This patch enhances config/zlib.m4 to introduce an extra option
>>>> --with-libz-prefix which allows us to provide the location of
>>>> the zlib library we want to use during the build.
>>>> * zlib.m4 (AM_ZLIB): Add --with-libz-prefix option support.
>>>> I didn't see any file in the GCC project that uses this macro,
>>>> so for the GCC repository, the change to zlib.m4 is it. But
>>>> I am also attaching to this email a copy of the patch that
>>>> will be applied to the binutils-gdb.git repository, with all
>>>> configury using this macro being re-generated - mostly for info,
>>>> also as a heads-up to both binutils and GDB.
>>>> This was tested by regenerating all autoconf/automake files in
>>>> the binutils-gdb project, and rebuilding GDB, using the following
>>>> --with-zlib (system zlib used)
>>>> --with-libz-prefix=/zlib/prefix (specific zlib linked in)
>>>> --with-zlib --with-libz-prefix=/zlib/prefix (specific zlib linked in)
>>>> --without-zlib (zlib support turned off)
>>>> --without-zlib --with-zlib-prefix (zlib support turned off)
>>>> --with-zlib (no system zlib available, configure fails with expected error)
>>>> --with-zlib --with-libz-prefix=/invalid/zlib/prefix
>>>> (no system zlib, configure fails with same error)
>>>> OK to commit?
>> Why do you want to turn off zlib? On Linux/x86, zlib is required
>> for assembler. At least, you should issue an error when --without-libz
>> is used in binutils for Linux/x86 target.
> err, when did that happen ? why would zlib be possibly required for an
> assembler ?
Is there going to be a configure error when the system does not have zlib
and no argument is specified?
This is a common issue for people building tools for RTEMS for the first
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D. Director of Research & Development
joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com On-Line Applications Research
Ask me about RTEMS: a free RTOS Huntsville AL 35805
Support Available (256) 722-9985