This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH][AArch64] Add support for -mcpu=cortex-a72
- From: James Greenhalgh <james dot greenhalgh at arm dot com>
- To: Marcus Shawcroft <marcus dot shawcroft at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Matthew Wahab <Matthew dot Wahab at arm dot com>, gcc-patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 13:41:11 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH][AArch64] Add support for -mcpu=cortex-a72
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <54D1F5F1 dot 3030605 at arm dot com> <CAFqB+PwownOZX+wmmZPrO9nNSPFQ8+jNQsLZcP9aMJjs+_yu3Q at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 12:57:11PM +0000, Marcus Shawcroft wrote:
> On 4 February 2015 at 10:35, Matthew Wahab <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > The Cortex-A72 is an ARMv8 core with the same architectural features as the
> > Cortex-A57. This patch adds support for the command line option
> > -mcpu=cortex-a72 with the same effect as the -mcpu=cortex-a57 option, only
> > the name being different. It also adds support for the
> > -mcpu=cortex-a72.cortex-a53 big-little variant.
> > Tested with check-gcc on aarch64-none-linux-gnu with no new failures. Tested
> > the new cpu options from the command line.
> > Matthew
> > gcc/
> > 2015-02-04 Matthew Wahab <email@example.com>
> > * config/aarch64/aarch64-cores.def: Add cortex-a72 and
> > cortex-a72.cortex-a53.
> > * config/aarch64/aarch64-tune.md: Regenerate.
> > * doc/invoke.texi (AArch64 Options/-mtune): Add "cortex-a72".
> Thanks. Anyone using this new option, -mcpu=cortex-a72, will need to
> have a binutils build which includes your related binutils change
> (which I just OK'd) because the aarch64 backend in its current form
> will inject a .cpu directive into the output .S. This dependency is a
> tad unpleasant. James G has a patch in the works that will change gcc
> behaviour such that we pass through a .arch xxx+feature+feature
> directive into GAS which will remove this particular dependency but I
> think that change will need to wait for stage-1 now. This patch is
> low risk and I'd like the -mcpu=cortex-a72 recognition support in for
> gcc5. OK, commit it. /Marcus
Can you also make sure that support for Cortex-A72 gets a mention
(with the caveat above I should think) in the GCC 5.0 changes