This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [Patch ARM-AArch64/testsuite v2 01/21] Neon intrinsics execution tests initial framework.
- From: Christophe Lyon <christophe dot lyon at linaro dot org>
- To: Marcus Shawcroft <marcus dot shawcroft at gmail dot com>, Ramana Radhakrishnan <ramana dot radhakrishnan at arm dot com>
- Cc: "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 15:33:16 +0200
- Subject: Re: [Patch ARM-AArch64/testsuite v2 01/21] Neon intrinsics execution tests initial framework.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1404209174-25364-1-git-send-email-christophe dot lyon at linaro dot org> <1404209174-25364-2-git-send-email-christophe dot lyon at linaro dot org> <CAFqB+PyajcZb3gnLD7g=pLftfb3Hcv_yXV-f_CVq+fp3CK4VDQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAKdteOa5YOio4=bmJp-Z8r4PgRYifYmxPa4YO40p3U-J4-TiDg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAFqB+PzDSbUdhrrgLgeOmAFzRzLxAmsDKrvht88E9uUFXDirxg at mail dot gmail dot com>
On 1 October 2014 17:11, Marcus Shawcroft <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On 30 September 2014 15:27, Christophe Lyon <email@example.com> wrote:
>> On 10 July 2014 12:12, Marcus Shawcroft <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>>> On 1 July 2014 11:05, Christophe Lyon <email@example.com> wrote:
>>>> * documentation (README)
>>>> * dejanu driver (neon-intrinsics.exp)
>>>> * support macros (arm-neon-ref.h, compute-ref-data.h)
>>>> * Tests for 3 intrinsics: vaba, vld1, vshl
>>> Hi, The terminology in armv8 is advsimd rather than neon. Can we
>>> rename neon-intrinsics to advsimd-intrinsics or simd-intrinsics
>>> throughout please. The existing gcc.target/aarch64/simd directory of
>>> tests will presumably be superseded by this more comprehensive set of
>>> tests so I suggest these tests go in gcc.target/aarch64/advsimd and we
>>> eventually remove gcc.target/aarch64/simd/ directory.
>>> GNU style should apply throughout this patch series, notably double
>>> space after period in comments and README text. Space before left
>>> parenthesis in function/macro call and function declaration. The
>>> function name in a declaration goes on a new line. The GCC wiki notes
>>> on test case state individual test should have file names ending in
>>> _<number>, see here https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/TestCaseWriting
>> For the record, these tests are based on a testsuite I wrote quite
>> some time ago:
>> where obviously I had no such requirement (and v8 wasn't public yet)
>> So I prefer to apply the changes you request in my main version before
>> re-submitting it here.
>> (libsanitizer-style, sort-of....).
>> This will take me some time, so the next version of my patch series
>> should not be expected really soon :-(
> Hi Christophe, Given that this test suite code is an existing body
> of work I see no reason to impose the GNU style change I originally
> asked for. I withdraw my original comment that these patches should
> conform to GNU style. My comment on file names is also withdrawn. I
> would like to see the terminology corrected.
Thanks, I have updated my patch according to this.
But meanwhile I have also updated my testsuite, and fixed the #define
flag I used to toggle float16 tests: I now use __ARM_FP16_FORMAT_IEEE,
TEST_VLD1(vector, buffer, , float, f, 16, 4);
TEST_VLD1(vector, buffer, q, float, f, 16, 8);
Which reminded me that:
- on ARM (AArch32), float16x4_t is supported, but float16x8_t isn't yet
- on AArch64, -mfp16-format=ieee is rejected, and I didn't see a
similar option in the doc
What do you prefer me to do for these tests? I can think of:
- do not include them at all until fp16 is fully supported on both
AArch32 and AArch64
- include only those with float16x4_t
- include both float16x4_t and float16x8_t tests, leaving float16x8_t commented
- include both, uncommented, but do not test with -mfp16-format=ieee