This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Some DWARFv5 proposal prototypes (atomic_type, aligned_type)
- From: Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail dot com>
- To: Mark Wielaard <mjw at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>, gcc-patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>, Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:02:46 -0700
- Subject: Re: Some DWARFv5 proposal prototypes (atomic_type, aligned_type)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1404837544-32127-1-git-send-email-mjw at redhat dot com> <1404941729-30903-1-git-send-email-mjw at redhat dot com> <877g3f3e6f dot fsf at fleche dot redhat dot com> <1405424182 dot 17759 dot 62 dot camel at bordewijk dot wildebeest dot org>
On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:36 AM, Mark Wielaard <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 13:58 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
>> >>>>> "Mark" == Mark Wielaard <email@example.com> writes:
>> Mark> The following two patches are based on the earlier "dwarf2out.c: Pass
>> Mark> one cv_quals argument" and "Emit DW_tag_restrict_type" patches I posted
>> Mark> earlier. Since there currently is not even an early draft yet for DWARFv5,
>> Mark> just a collection of proposals that might or might not be adopted these
>> Mark> patches are not meant to be integrated just yet. But I would like to get
>> Mark> feedback on the code and whether the new debug information is useful.
>> I didn't read the patches I'm afraid.
>> However, the new debug information is definitely useful for the gcc/gdb
>> integration project. Without it I think the user can end up with
>> mysterious failures in their compiled expressions.
> I don't know how far DWARFv5 is at the moment, these proposals haven't
> even made it to a draft yet, so we might have to look at turning them
> into GNU extensions first then.
Dwarf5 is fairly well locked down at this point. But that doesn't stop
us from getting this fairly well defined so we can put it in 6 and it
can just be an extension until then.
> But first I need some feedback on the dwarf2out.c refactoring for
> passing around cv-qualifiers and the addition of the restrict tag
> patches on which these DWARFv5 prototypes are based: