This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [patch 1/4] change specific int128 -> generic intN
- From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at adacore dot com>
- To: DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, Bernd Schmidt <bernds at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 11:48:43 +0200
- Subject: Re: [patch 1/4] change specific int128 -> generic intN
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <201404142303 dot s3EN3ONP009938 at greed dot delorie dot com> <53B584ED dot 6050603 at codesourcery dot com> <201407032001 dot s63K1QSW004762 at greed dot delorie dot com>
> I don't doubt it, because I've been fighting these assumptions for years.
The fight needs to be resumed/sped up, that's clearly the right thing to do.
> Then please provide a "very good idea" for how to teach gcc about true
> 20-bit types in a system with 8-bit memory and 16-bit words.
TYPE_PRECISION was designed precisely for this purpose.