This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [patch] Disable if_conversion2 for Og
- From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha at arm dot com>
- To: Joey Ye <Joey dot Ye at arm dot com>
- Cc: "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:03:58 +0100
- Subject: Re: [patch] Disable if_conversion2 for Og
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <000001cf584e$66102060$32306120$ at arm dot com> <534E50F2 dot 2000606 at arm dot com> <000401cf595a$ee875910$cb960b30$ at arm dot com>
On 16/04/14 11:02, Joey Ye wrote:
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Richard Earnshaw
>> Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:44 PM
>> To: Joey Ye
>> Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
>> Subject: Re: [patch] Disable if_conversion2 for Og
>> Arguably, this is a bug in gdb. The debugger should understand when a
>> breakpointed conditional instruction is not going to execute and silently
>> continue. That preserves the illusion of not executing the code without
>> requiring the compiler to de-optimize things.
> Or compiler just optimizes it, and emits generic DWARFx information to help
> GDB handle it in more target independently?
> - Joey
I'm not sure extra dwarf info would help much. The debugger still has
to understand that the breakpoint has not really been hit.