This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Aliasing: look through pointer's def stmt
- From: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- To: Marc Glisse <marc dot glisse at inria dot fr>, Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- Cc: GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:06:55 -0600
- Subject: Re: Aliasing: look through pointer's def stmt
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 02 dot 1310250707430 dot 14734 at stedding dot saclay dot inria dot fr> <526A0269 dot 8030407 at redhat dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1310250809590 dot 4165 at laptop-mg dot saclay dot inria dot fr> <CAFiYyc27=sN1itn+N09rpmm8tWGt-Khu7oASLd0ODsdZh=ofzw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAFiYyc2EtayY0tiW1pz4t-zf0uVC24UcF5s7yaUrY3f7_jxoVg at mail dot gmail dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1310251123350 dot 8620 at laptop-mg dot saclay dot inria dot fr>
On 10/25/13 03:29, Marc Glisse wrote:
Has the patent on Steensgaard's techniques expired yet? IIRC it would
handle this kind of stuff quite well.
It doesn't get lost, but this is the missed optimization that malloc
results still alias with global pointers (here a function argument).
Taking into account the offset shouldn't change anything.
I think this is a different issue (but if you say improving malloc would