This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [wwwdocs, patch] gcc-4.9/changes.html: Add quip about "#pragma GCC ivdep" and update Fortran section
- From: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer dot com>
- To: Tobias Burnus <burnus at net-b dot de>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 00:07:20 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: Re: [wwwdocs, patch] gcc-4.9/changes.html: Add quip about "#pragma GCC ivdep" and update Fortran section
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <526978A3 dot 30708 at net-b dot de>
On Thu, 24 Oct 2013, Tobias Burnus wrote:
Any comments? Or is the patch OK?
thanks for doing this.
+ <li>With the new <a
+ ><code>#pragma GCC ivdep</code></a>, the user can assert that there are no
+ loop-carried dependencies which would prevent that consecutive iterations of
+ the following loop can be executed concurrently with SIMD (single instruction
+ multiple data) instructions.</li>
That would flow a bit nicer if you say "...prevent concurrent execution
of consecutive iterations using..." or something like that, I believe?
+ allocatable components of variables declared in the main program. The
+ Fortran standard states since 2008 explicitly that variables declared
+ in the Fortran main program automatically have the <code>SAVE</code>
How about "Since 2008 the Fortran standard..." or "Fortran 2008 and later
+ about <code>DO</code> loops with zero iterations. This warning is now
The patch looks good if you consider my comments (which is not
necessarily the same as following all of them ;-).