This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH v2] Fix libgfortran cross compile configury w.r.t newlib
- From: Marcus Shawcroft <marcus dot shawcroft at gmail dot com>
- To: Steve Ellcey <sellcey at mips dot com>
- Cc: Mike Stump <mikestump at comcast dot net>, Tobias Burnus <burnus at net-b dot de>, "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, "fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org" <fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Richard Earnshaw <Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com>
- Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 15:53:08 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Fix libgfortran cross compile configury w.r.t newlib
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <52443AFE dot 5050802 at arm dot com> <1380298134 dot 5988 dot 61 dot camel at ubuntu-sellcey> <52497156 dot 5010203 at arm dot com> <524AB4AD dot 6070508 at arm dot com> <CAFqB+PxJR53JGV3f8dy7SNRHbdVMc0aqAC5ruFC6S0WXtksE5w at mail dot gmail dot com> <525DA2D7 dot 5080509 at net-b dot de> <A7ECA8A4-5136-471E-A5E2-89D7B9977C9D at comcast dot net>
On 15 October 2013 22:35, Mike Stump <email@example.com> wrote:
> Would be nice for a build/config person to weigh in or to upgrade and make bullet proof the system against such failures. My take, by default, the compile line should do something useful, and that should be enough for autoconf style tests to smell the library. Now, we can observe that Steve's mips-mti-elf newlib port apparently violates that, but it is lost on me why that is and why that is a good thing. Steve? Is there some reason why by default, a suitable linker script can't be added by the compiler, or, if none suitable, a stub one that isn't suitable in general, but, is complete enough to allow autoconf to function normally?
Can your build be fixed allowing us to back out:
I'd really like to make some progress on this, while my proposed patch
does resolve the regression introduced by the above patch I am
concerned that this is going in the wrong direction and that we
should, as Mike suggests above fix the build issue such that autoconf
behaves, rather than attempting to hardwire configure details of
newlib into libgfortran...