This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Teaching emacs about GCC coding conventions (was Re: [PATCH] tree_code_name wrapper)
- From: David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat dot com>
- To: Paulo Matos <pmatos at broadcom dot com>
- Cc: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>, Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>, Paolo Carlini <paolo dot carlini at oracle dot com>, "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:32:41 -0400
- Subject: Teaching emacs about GCC coding conventions (was Re: [PATCH] tree_code_name wrapper)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <19EB96622A777C4AB91610E763265F462DC5C7 at SJEXCHMB14 dot corp dot ad dot broadcom dot com> <525C1786 dot 5030404 at oracle dot com> <CAFiYyc0b7fU=L28_rkfo4x0zQ-wkf=tr+APMuXd3DVNw5FGAHQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <19EB96622A777C4AB91610E763265F462DC8D3 at SJEXCHMB14 dot corp dot ad dot broadcom dot com> <20131015095055 dot GM30970 at tucnak dot zalov dot cz> <19EB96622A777C4AB91610E763265F462DDBA3 at SJEXCHMB14 dot corp dot ad dot broadcom dot com>
On Tue, 2013-10-15 at 13:19 +0000, Paulo Matos wrote:
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Jakub Jelinek [mailto:email@example.com]
> > Sent: 15 October 2013 10:51
> > To: Paulo Matos
> > Cc: Richard Biener; Paolo Carlini; firstname.lastname@example.org
> > Subject: Re: [PATCH] tree_code_name wrapper
> > On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 09:42:17AM +0000, Paulo Matos wrote:
> > > Thanks, regarding the indentation I was convinced we used 2 space
> > > indentation with maximum line length of 80 characters.
> > We do, however 8 consecutive spaces in the indentation should be always
> > replaced by a tab.
> This means that every sequence of 8 spaces should be converted into tabs? So, if we indent something 4 times, that becomes a tab instead of 4 times 2 spaces.
> Just to confirm so I can setup my emacs to use this.
Probably a silly question, but what's the invocation in emacs to do
this, and is it possible to set up the source tree so that this happens
automatically for everyone?
(I've been using whitespace-mode and manually copying-and-pasting tab
characters, which is clearly suboptimal).