This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [GOOGLE] Iterative AutoFDO
- From: Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google dot com>
- To: Dehao Chen <dehao at google dot com>
- Cc: GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 12:23:42 -0700
- Subject: Re: [GOOGLE] Iterative AutoFDO
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAO2gOZX+xnp_0JFg3CaS5Z_=KU78Hd7BGRoxcE+RgEXY_R--dQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAkRFZKFLOA0dDE9ca5sCAiKNCQaX=MFhq71Q=V0FRpdkKtiUA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAO2gOZWApmZO009dzjQQit1+FrR4EXO5iyYqUf4s7ZX1nLzS2Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAkRFZL0iAp0h0x6w4=Pp0qmbq5O=yt=dZ7baM5kf2RhDVU0GA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAO2gOZVpx7mk9iVY=rLZpM6bBSvfc4vrutUDQ2=tVdHA0xM+Cw at mail dot gmail dot com>
The patch is ok.
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Dehao Chen <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Patch updated.
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Xinliang David Li <email@example.com> wrote:
>> > /* Program behavior changed, original promoted (and inlined) target is not
>> > hot any more. Will avoid promote the original target. */
>> > if (total >= info->first * 0.5)
>> > return false;
>> This part is still not clear: Difference between OLD_INFO and INFO,
>> factor 0.5 comes from where etc.
>>> gcov_type autofdo_source_profile::get_callsite_total_count (
>>> struct cgraph_edge *edge) const
>> Formatting and missing documentation -- there are other cases like
>> this in the source.
>>> /* No need to promoted the stmt if its in promoted_stmts (means
>>> it is already been promoted in the previous iterations). */
>> Make it clear that ic promotion and early-inline-2 is done in multiple
>>> This is needed because an indirect call might be promoted and
>> might have been
>> > inlined in the profiled binary. If we do not promote and inline
>> > these indirect calls before annothation, the profile for these
>> annothation --> annotation.
>>> for (int i = 0; i < PARAM_VALUE (PARAM_EARLY_INLINER_MAX_ITERATIONS); i++)
>>> if (!flag_value_profile_transformations
>>> || !autofdo::afdo_vpt_for_early_inline (&promoted_stmts))
>>> early_inliner ();
>> Does it leave any indirect call sites not promoted after this loop? In
>> other words, is there a need to keep the value profile transformation
>> after the cfg annotation?
> That's still needed because the IC_promotion happened before
> annotation is only for those promoted in the profiling runs. We still
> need to promote those newly exposed opportunities.
>> A related question -- for indirect callsites that are not
>> promoted/inlined in the profiled binary, will indirect call promotion
>> and inlining before cfg annotation cause problems? The inline instance
>> won't find profile anymore.
> Those callsites will still be promoted after annotation, thus no problem.