This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Copyright years for new old ports (Re: Ping^6: contribute Synopsys Designware ARC port)
- From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- To: Joern Rennecke <joern dot rennecke at embecosm dot com>
- Cc: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>, Diego Novillo <dnovillo at google dot com>, gcc-patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Richard Earnshaw <richard dot earnshaw at arm dot com>, Richard Biener <rguenther at suse dot de>, Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>, Geoffrey Keating <geoffk at geoffk dot org>, Richard Kenner <kenner at nyu dot edu>, Michael Meissner <gnu at the-meissners dot org>, Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>, "David S. Miller" <davem at redhat dot com>, Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>, Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Bernd Schmidt <bernds at codesourcery dot com>, Ian Lance Taylor <ian at airs dot com>, Jim Wilson <wilson at tuliptree dot org>
- Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 12:09:20 +0200
- Subject: Re: Copyright years for new old ports (Re: Ping^6: contribute Synopsys Designware ARC port)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20130928095442 dot dpsqk8x5440k4ko0-nzlynne at webmail dot spamcop dot net> <CAD_=9DR6pD7DdmO5b6U5tip92Xx6zkcgkjE77+8Vr7C8uNayHQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20131001172613 dot 53fb0h5s84g8wkcc-nzlynne at webmail dot spamcop dot net> <524B4B2E dot 5090808 at redhat dot com> <20131002062024 dot GI30970 at tucnak dot zalov dot cz> <20131002060514 dot 5zm671kjj4k0kgs8-nzlynne at webmail dot spamcop dot net>
- Reply-to: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 06:05:14AM -0400, Joern Rennecke wrote:
> From my understanding, the condition for adding the current Copyright year
> without a source code change is to have a release in that year. Are we
> sure 4.9.0 will be released this year?
We are sure we don't want 4.9.0 to be released this year ;)
> >Because GCC has switched to Copyright year ranges, in fact all the Copyright
> >lines should be either 2013, or firstyear-2013.
> The way I recall the argument is that the releases we make allow us to add
> a copyright year without a source code change, and because files on trunk
> are included in a release at least once a year, you can fill in a range for
> their stay within trunk. However, this port hasn't been in the FSF gcc trunk
> till now, so what we have at this moment are the lists of years when the code
> was prepared.
But, all the other files in gcc/ are now someyear-2013, new files added
are also 2013, if you make your files someyear-2011 or similar, then I think
the scripts won't easily adjust it to someyear-2014 when we run the script
early in January 2014.