This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [patch, fortran, docs] Unformatted sequential and special files
- From: Janne Blomqvist <blomqvist dot janne at gmail dot com>
- To: Thomas Koenig <tkoenig at netcologne dot de>
- Cc: "fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org" <fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org>, gcc-patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 23:15:33 +0300
- Subject: Re: [patch, fortran, docs] Unformatted sequential and special files
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5220D3E4 dot 2010905 at netcologne dot de>
On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Thomas Koenig <email@example.com> wrote:
> Hello world,
> the attached patch documents the format for unformatted sequential
> files and what is, and is not, supported with special files.
> Tested with "make dvi" and "make info". OK for trunk?
The unformatted sequential format part looks Ok, but the special files
section is lacking. E.g. what about
- The REWIND statement?
- The ENDFILE statement?
- ACCESS='stream' and the POS= specifier?
- ACCESS='direct'? (I suspect this should work for
pipes/FIFO's/terminals in case REC= numbers are sequential, but is
that a guarantee we want to make?)
- Special files which are special in other ways. E.g. block special
files tend to allow seeking, but IO must be block aligned.
> 2013-08-30 Thomas Koenig <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> PR fortran/30162
> * gfortran.texi: Document unformatted sequential file format
> and I/O with special files.