This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH, i386] PR 57927: -march=core-avx2 different than -march=native on INTEL Haswell (i7-4700K)
- From: Uros Bizjak <ubizjak at gmail dot com>
- To: "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Cc: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic at gentoo dot org>, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:39:53 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH, i386] PR 57927: -march=core-avx2 different than -march=native on INTEL Haswell (i7-4700K)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
>> >>> As reported in  the host processor detection has not yet been updated
>> >>> to recognize Intel Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors.
>> >>> This small patch adds the detection of these processors and assumes
>> >>> core-avx2 as march for unknown processors of the PENTIUMPRO family that
>> >>> support AVX2.
>> >> I have committed slightly improved (attached) patch that uses
>> >> core-avx-i for IvyBridge and adds another IvyBridge model number.
>> >> While there, I also reordered a bunch of statements.
>> > Page C-3 in ntel optimization guide shows:
>> > 06_3CH, 06_45H, 06_46H Intel microarchitecture Haswell
>> > 06_3AH, 06_3EH Intel microarchitecture Ivy Bridge
>> > 06_2AH, 06_2DH Intel microarchitecture Sandy Bridge
>> > 06_25H, 06_2CH, 06_2FH Intel microarchitecture Westmere
>> > 06_1AH, 06_1EH, 06_1FH, Intel microarchitecture Nehalem
>> > 06_2EH
>> > 06_17H, 06_1DH Enhanced Intel Core microarchitecture
>> > 06_0FH Intel Core microarchitecture
>> > At least, we should add 0x45 and 0x46 to Haswell.
>> OK, the patch is pre-approved.
> Can these changes be backported to 4.8 and the Ivy Bridge parts to 4.7 as
> well? We've had a couple reports of bad -march=native results for Haswell on
> 4.7. I can file PRs if you're interested.
I have backported all relevant patches to release branches (4.7, 4.8).