This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Clean up pretty printers [18/n]
- From: Jan Hubicka <hubicka at ucw dot cz>
- To: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at integrable-solutions dot net>
- Cc: Jan Hubicka <hubicka at ucw dot cz>, Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at axiomatics dot org>, Paolo Carlini <paolo dot carlini at oracle dot com>, "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 16:32:19 +0200
- Subject: Re: Clean up pretty printers [18/n]
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <87y57o3kt5 dot fsf at euclid dot axiomatics dot org> <521B1B4F dot 5090206 at oracle dot com> <87haecdd0n dot fsf at euclid dot axiomatics dot org> <20130826122400 dot GA1859 at atrey dot karlin dot mff dot cuni dot cz> <CAAiZkiCDD4O_J20=ttih-Bes79GipG_ZnjeaXyQT8Gy4yPajYw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20130826140031 dot GA9323 at kam dot mff dot cuni dot cz> <CAAiZkiAvH0q-MKFjTy6VOL2ibGUnnQLZ1R44u6etJ1xSjLhU-Q at mail dot gmail dot com>
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Jan Hubicka <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> >> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Jan Hubicka <email@example.com> wrote:
> >> > Hi,
> >> > it seems to be couple weeks I am not able to compile big ltrans unit with -fdump-tree-all
> >> > because the compiler eventually runs out of memory. I think it is one of your patches
> >> > introducing serious memory leak. Can you, please, take a look on this? It makes my life
> >> > harder - it is not fun to wait for 15 minutes for a dump and then see compiler to ICE...
> >> >
> >> > Thanks,
> >> > Honza
> >> The existing pretty printers have always had memory leaks, and
> >> part of the work is to reduce that in fact :-( For example, instead
> >> of printing directly to the output buffer, many of them construct
> >> a string for a given formatter, then send that string to the stream,
> >> and that string may or may not be reclaimed. Please give me
> >> actionable instructions so I can reproduce your situation.
> > I think it should be easiert to build with bootstrap-lto and then add -fdump-tree-all into
> > the final link command line options.
> modify ALL_LINKERFLAGS or BUILD_LINKERFLAGS?
configure --with-build-config=bootstrap-lto . You need plugin enabled buinutils for that.
I think there however should be a lot easier way to reproduce it by just dropping some really
large source file. Here LTO only runs the backend on very many functions.