This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] color diagnostics markers
- From: Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- To: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at integrable-solutions dot net>
- Cc: Manuel López-Ibáñez <lopezibanez at gmail dot com>, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>, Gcc Patch List <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:24:57 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] color diagnostics markers
- References: <CAESRpQCG6VX4JTEXLhrV2LDCLENYB7i8ad-3jj=K6FGeuK5+Ug at mail dot gmail dot com> <20130402091449 dot GE20616 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <CAESRpQAiDrn-9T7Zxvs2ZQVT9hE9_X=gnEyDkS7Y4b-vOiz3Cg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20130408132301 dot GO20334 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <20130409132143 dot GV20334 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <CAESRpQB34G1tSBOaN16A82vHxVb-exU-=S8rgniHK6z+yWM2GA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAiZkiCFx7HxAH42ZwdDYBpmv4+rUvHcnsSSgZ6DqzmmctgOPQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Manuel López-Ibáñez
> <email@example.com> wrote:
>> On 9 April 2013 15:21, Jakub Jelinek <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>>> white). The default is still -fdiagnostics-color=never, can be changed
>>> later on.
>> Apart from my comments elsewhere
>> (http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2013-04/msg00614.html), the patch
>> looks fine to me. But perhaps we should change the default to auto, at
>> least during Stage 1, to find out whether some bug was introduced. If
>> agreed, I could do this in a follow-up patch that also disables colors
>> for the testsuite.
> I am still of the opinion that the default should be discussed differently,
> and I strongly suggest that it defaults to "never". I do not believe we do
> need to do otherwise now.
> As I stated before, our pursuit of enabling everything new thing by default
> may have made C++ diagnostics more terrifying.
Eventually add a configure switch to allow vendors to change the default.
> -- Gaby