This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Avoid warning when unused attribute applied to C++ member variables (issue8212043)
- From: Teresa Johnson <tejohnson at google dot com>
- To: Andrew Pinski <pinskia at gmail dot com>
- Cc: "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, reply at codereview dot appspotmail dot com
- Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 10:18:54 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Avoid warning when unused attribute applied to C++ member variables (issue8212043)
- References: <20130331071036 dot A877C807B2 at tjsboxrox dot mtv dot corp dot google dot com> <CA+=Sn1mCLwiw3oPt9oP+WM7H1KxdOKqfwMGBvaLAyhLSh+G60A at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAe5K+WzgupC5F2wzc_S7=sgHg_nxGBwVyJFYLd+K=sK2RFVDA at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Teresa Johnson <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 1:36 AM, Andrew Pinski <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM, Teresa Johnson <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> This patch allows the unused attribute to be used without warning
>>> on C++ class members, which are of type FIELD_DECL. This is for
>>> compatibility with clang, which allows the attribute to be specified on
>>> class members and struct fields. It looks like more work would need to
>>> be done to implement the actual unused variable detection and warning
>>> on FIELD_DECLs, but this change will at least avoid the warning on the
>>> code that uses the unused attribute in these cases. The documentation at
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Variable-Attributes.html also doesn't
>>> seem to preclude its use on C++ member variables.
>> This also allows it on field in normal C case. As far as I understand
>> they are fields and not variables in the normal programming sense
>> which is why the document does not mention them.
> That's true that this change will also allow the unused attribute on
> normal C struct fields. I just verified that clang also allows this,
> and it could potentially be taken advantage of to warn on unused
> fields as well.
>> Andrew Pinski
>>> Bootstrapped and tested on x86-64-unknown-linux-gnu. Ok for trunk?
>>> 2013-03-30 Teresa Johnson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>>> * c-family/c-common.c (handle_unused_attribute): Handle
>>> FIELD_DECL for C++ class members.
>>> Index: c-family/c-common.c
>>> --- c-family/c-common.c (revision 197266)
>>> +++ c-family/c-common.c (working copy)
>>> @@ -6753,6 +6753,7 @@ handle_unused_attribute (tree *node, tree name, tr
>>> if (TREE_CODE (decl) == PARM_DECL
>>> || TREE_CODE (decl) == VAR_DECL
>>> + || TREE_CODE (decl) == FIELD_DECL
>>> || TREE_CODE (decl) == FUNCTION_DECL
>>> || TREE_CODE (decl) == LABEL_DECL
>>> || TREE_CODE (decl) == TYPE_DECL)
>>> This patch is available for review at http://codereview.appspot.com/8212043
> Teresa Johnson | Software Engineer | email@example.com | 408-460-2413
Teresa Johnson | Software Engineer | firstname.lastname@example.org | 408-460-2413