This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [RTL] Canonicalize commutative operations more
- From: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- To: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at adacore dot com>
- Cc: Marc Glisse <marc dot glisse at inria dot fr>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 09:29:43 -0600
- Subject: Re: [RTL] Canonicalize commutative operations more
- References: <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 02 dot 1303191715280 dot 4515 at stedding dot saclay dot inria dot fr> <1420303 dot Yr0JhII12W at polaris> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 02 dot 1304021202300 dot 21244 at stedding dot saclay dot inria dot fr> <5990842 dot GuiiquCisS at polaris>
On 04/02/2013 04:54 AM, Eric Botcazou wrote:
Right. The choice between canonicalization and code bloat to support
multiple RTL forms computing the same value is a never-ending problem.
Where it's clearly made sense we have canonicalized, where it doesn't,
we haven't. There's a huge no-mans land in the middle.
I wonder if those issues might in most cases be bugs in the back-ends
(optimizations missed depending on the order), that the canonicalization
would make more noticable (and thus easier to fix).
There are certainly such issues in the back-ends (and even ??? comments about
it) so sensible canonicalization is desirable.