This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PING^5] PR 54805: __gthread_tsd* in vxlib-tls.c
- From: Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- To: Maxim Kuvyrkov <maxim at kugelworks dot com>
- Cc: rbmj <rbmj at verizon dot net>, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Mike Stump <mikestump at comcast dot net>
- Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 10:15:36 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PING^5] PR 54805: __gthread_tsd* in vxlib-tls.c
- References: <5097FE1B dot 6060409 at verizon dot net> <50A30E90 dot 7080704 at verizon dot net> <50B3B47F dot 9010905 at verizon dot net> <50C0B657 dot 2000004 at verizon dot net> <50E8FB30 dot 2010202 at verizon dot net> <50F89FF1 dot 9080107 at verizon dot net> <9B9BDD08-8F90-4073-93D4-659D1FABCDA0 at comcast dot net> <FCA895D0-8ACD-4D92-AF9C-A850C905609B at gmail dot com> <50F9AE31 dot 9040109 at verizon dot net> <7AC2CAB1-8248-4AF5-B49F-9764512E13B6 at gmail dot com> <511C033D dot 9010001 at verizon dot net> <293273AE-7B20-4708-8B91-10BCDA813B17 at gmail dot com> <5147CFA4 dot 4010909 at verizon dot net> <34C52E41-8F68-4398-9D0D-DC1350E810FF at kugelworks dot com> <51485B7B dot 10901 at verizon dot net> <B2FECC22-AC3D-4F80-986A-36D90314A061 at kugelworks dot com>
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM, Maxim Kuvyrkov <email@example.com> wrote:
> On 20/03/2013, at 1:35 AM, rbmj wrote:
>> On 19-Mar-13 03:04, Maxim Kuvyrkov wrote:
>>> Will commit to trunk once the server is up.
> The patch is now committed.
>>> Regarding 4.8, we should've really tried to work it out earlier. If you want to pursue backport to 4.8, please attach the log of PPA system rejecting the package
>> The error is:
>> Finished at 20130318-0642
>> Build needed 00:14:20, 804796k disk space
>> Function `__gthread_get_tsd_data' implicitly converted to pointer at /build/buildd/gcc-powerpc-wrs-vxworks-4.8.0+0svn196132/libgcc/config/vxlib-tls.c:164
>> Our automated build log filter detected the problem(s) above that will
>> likely cause your package to segfault on architectures where the size of
>> a pointer is greater than the size of an integer, such as ia64 and amd64.
>> This is often due to a missing function prototype definition.
>> Since use of implicitly converted pointers is always fatal to the application
>> on ia64, they are errors. Please correct them for your next upload.
>> This problem does not apply on the target (powerpc-wrs-vxworks), where sizeof(int*) == sizeof(int(*)()) == sizeof(int) == 4. However, the build system's filters are too stupid to realize this. Because the warning is spurious really the fact that the automated build system rejects the package is a bug on the build system's part. However, doing it the Right Way is so _easy_...
> As release manager, do you have any objections to backporting this patch to 4.8 branch? It affects only VxWorks targets and it is quite harmless (the patch fixes a compilation warning during building GCC for VxWorks targets).
It's certainly fine now.
> Maxim Kuvyrkov