This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Phone call (was Re: Armhf dynamic linker path)
- From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- To: Riku Voipio <riku dot voipio at linaro dot org>
- Cc: Michael Hope <michael dot hope at linaro dot org>, cross-distro at lists dot linaro dot org, Adam Conrad <adconrad at debian dot org>, linaro-toolchain at lists dot linaro dot org, Steve McIntyre <steve dot mcintyre at linaro dot org>, Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, libc-ports at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:47:29 +0200
- Subject: Re: Phone call (was Re: Armhf dynamic linker path)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <4F83B5AD.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <4F83B939.email@example.com> <4F84AC96.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20120411010608.GC25263@einval.com> <20120411223755.GD25263@einval.com> <CANLjY-k73dZJmE9YOvy-fG3rH_L-Ycz6tt4tsV7CKo3t5phSoA@mail.gmail.com> <20120412060523.GI16117@tyan-ft48-01.lab.bos.redhat.com> <CAAqcGHmJL4jiL8u3MMqw_B38m1HHbVGdZouiEqJV3o_JkLPf5g@mail.gmail.com>
- Reply-to: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:33:08AM +0300, Riku Voipio wrote:
> On 12 April 2012 09:05, Jakub Jelinek <email@example.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:22:13AM +1200, Michael Hope wrote:
> >> All good. ?My vote is for /lib/ld-arm-linux-gnueabihf.so.3 as it:
> > The directory should be /libhf/ or /libhfp/ for that for consistency
> > with all the other architectures. ?Note e.g. x86_64 dynamic linker
> > is /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, not /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2.
> For some value of consistency. x86_64, mips64, powerpc64 and sparc64
> install to /lib64. But on ia64 it is /lib/ld-linux-ia64.so.2 and on
ia64 installs in /lib, because it isn't a multilibbed architecture.
> s390x it is /lib/ld64.so.1 .
Ok, I forgot about this, I've tried to convince s390x folks to move it
to /lib64/ld64.so.1 many years ago, but that just didn't happen, so
/lib/ld64.so.1 is just a symlink to /lib64/ld64.so.1.
Upstream glibc binaries use /lib64/ld64.so.1 as their dynamic linker,
while all other packages use /lib/ld64.so.1 as that is hardcoded in gcc.
That is an argument that perhaps /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 could be
acceptable too, as it would follow the s390x model, I wouldn't be terribly
happy about that, but I could live with that.