This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [4.5/Ada] Fix build with 4.6 compiler
- From: Richard Guenther <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- To: Arnaud Charlet <charlet at adacore dot com>
- Cc: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at adacore dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 11:01:03 +0200
- Subject: Re: [4.5/Ada] Fix build with 4.6 compiler
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20120404075142.GA69279@adacore.com>
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Arnaud Charlet <email@example.com> wrote:
>> Arno, do you have objections to me applying the attached patch to the 4.5
>> branch? ?It makes it possible to build (and bootstrap) the Ada compiler on the
>> 4.5 branch (oldest supported branch) with the 4.6 compiler, which is now the
>> system compiler in recent Linux distributions.
> Well, we don't guarantee such compatibility in general,
> so I'd like to make it clear that people shouldn't expect this combination
> to work, and if more complex patches are submitted, we'll likely NOT
> integrate them.
Maybe you should start to do that though. Otherwise you'll simply lose
the easy (but not required) testing of Ada when I (or others) backport
changes to still maintained branches on machines where the system Ada
compiler is newer than the oldest maintained branch.
So - it's all for your own benefit ;) [you can think of using a new
switch for the compile where you'd enable some backward compatibility or so]