This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PING*4] add support for dwarf AT_GNU_descriptive_type
- From: Michael Eager <eager at eagerm dot com>
- To: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at adacore dot com>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, Olivier Hainque <hainque at adacore dot com>, Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>, brobecker at adacore dot com, guitton at adacore dot com
- Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:51:53 -0800
- Subject: Re: [PING*4] add support for dwarf AT_GNU_descriptive_type
- References: <20100902143849.GA23684@cardhu.act-europe.fr> <20101109111913.GA13135@cardhu.act-europe.fr> <4CD98181.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
Eric Botcazou wrote:
I would like to see how 'b' is currently described in DWARF
and how you would propose changing it, so that I have a better
understanding of why a debugger cannot print 'b' in detail.
The encoding of debug info generated by GNAT is entirely specified in the file
src/gcc/ada/exp_dbug.ads. It's quite complex but the main idea is that, when
common[*] features of the debug info format aren't sufficient, the compiler
emits additional types that convey the missing info using some encoding; GDB
then does the decoding.
I'm interested in seeing the DWARF which is generated for the specific
example and what would be generated with the patch.
Michael Eager firstname.lastname@example.org
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077