This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Update postreload.c to avoid long compilation time
- From: Michael Matz <matz at suse dot de>
- To: Martin Thuresson <martint at google dot com>
- Cc: gcc-patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:57:05 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: Re: Update postreload.c to avoid long compilation time
- References: <AANLkTi=UapBhS8xBT5LdOFn7YL_dOKJPVzu7S-NN0uBs@mail.gmail.com>
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Martin Thuresson wrote:
> This patch updates the handling of temporary registers in postreload.c
> to avoid very long build times in certain files.
> By creating new registers instead of updating one existing one using
> SET_REGNO it avoids going through the scan df structure.
But this also means generating heaps of garbage for the collector to
collect. I think it would be better to not loose the current optimization
of doing just one gen_reg_RTX(), and rather create a variant of SET_REGNO
that doesn't call df_ref_change_reg_with_loc; SET_REGNO_RAW or something
(or just inline the "XCUINT (RTX, 0, REG) = N" instead of using SET_REGNO
at that place).