This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Reduce size footprint of empty strings.
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Maxim Kuvyrkov <maxim at codesourcery dot com>, gcc-patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:46:21 +0000 (UTC)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Reduce size footprint of empty strings.
- References: <4B8656D9.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4B86A668.email@example.com>
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Jeff Law wrote:
> I guess this officially ends the practice of allowing one to edit (via adb or
> emacs) the binary's data section to provide a different initializer for these
> objects. It was something I used to do with regularity "way back when".
> I'm not objecting, just pointing out that something that used to work isn't
> going to anymore.
Use -fno-zero-initialized-in-bss for that - that's been the case for
several years, this patch just makes the compiler detect one more
Joseph S. Myers