This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [Patch,Fortran] PR 40580 - add -fcheck=pointer for some actual argument checks
- From: Paul Richard Thomas <paul dot richard dot thomas at gmail dot com>
- To: Tobias Burnus <burnus at net-b dot de>
- Cc: gcc patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, gfortran <fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:51:30 +0200
- Subject: Re: [Patch,Fortran] PR 40580 - add -fcheck=pointer for some actual argument checks
- References: <4A491CAE.email@example.com>
OK'ed after discussion on #gfortran.
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Tobias Burnus<firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> after spending some time today to pinpoint a problem, I decided having a
> -fcheck=pointer makes sense. The checking happens if one passes an
> ALLOCATABLE or POINTER (or proc-pointer) actual argument to a dummy
> which is not allocatable nor a pointer. In that case, the actual
> argument needs to be allocated / associated, which this patch checks.
> Build and regtested on x86-64-linux.
> OK for the trunk?
> PS: The patch contains two other small changes; one to *def is trivial
> and one to *.texi brings the words closer to the standard and describes
> better what is actually done (e.g. copy-in/out is not really call by
> reference, though the effect is [almost] the same).
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
--Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy