This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Add GPL compatibility check for plugins
- From: Rafael Espindola <espindola at google dot com>
- To: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Diego Novillo <dnovillo at google dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:50:54 +0100
- Subject: Re: Add GPL compatibility check for plugins
- References: <20090618194657.GA22793@google.com> <email@example.com>
2009/6/19 Frank Ch. Eigler <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
> (This same argument has come up in the context of the linux-kernel,
> for ndiswrapper. ÂEach time, whenever people promote code some sort of
> implicit license-violation guilt upon ndiswrapper, they have had to
> back down because the GPL restrictions do not activate for mere use.)
For reference, this is Linus email on the thread
The main argument for not banning the loading of non-gpl modules is
"Same goes for code. Copyright is about _distribution_, not about use. We
shouldn't limit how people use the code."
IMHO, the very same argument applies to GCC.
> - FChE
Rafael Avila de Espindola
Google | Gordon House | Barrow Street | Dublin 4 | Ireland
Registered in Dublin, Ireland | Registration Number: 368047