This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [Fortran,patch] PR 39178 - inline main()
- From: Dave Korn <dave dot korn dot cygwin at googlemail dot com>
- To: FX <fxcoudert at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Fortran List <fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, Tobias Burnus <burnus at net-b dot de>, Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask dot apl dot washington dot edu>, Janne Blomqvist <blomqvist dot janne at gmail dot com>
- Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 01:40:05 +0100
- Subject: Re: [Fortran,patch] PR 39178 - inline main()
- References: <FC75E055-191F-41A8-81D9-B20984466953@GMAIL.COM>
> Just a short note: maybe deprecating it for now would be the best
> option, because a google codesearch reveals quite a few uses:
> I also think it's worth mentionning in the release notes.
I would advise extreme caution with this kind of potential back-compat
break. Even if people's makefiles are indeed nominally "doing the wrong
thing" by linking it explicitly rather than using the driver to get the flags
right, it's still not our business to punish them if we can easily make our
system forgiving of their mistakes without imposing costs on others who are
following the more correct usage.