This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH, middle-end] Switch initializations conversion (take four)
- From: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:25:08 -1000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH, middle-end] Switch initializations conversion (take four)
- References: <20080229160939.GA29616@dhcp64.suse.cz> <47C865E9.email@example.com> <20080304202129.GA15391@dhcp64.suse.cz>
Martin Jambor wrote:
So far I have only managed to find out how many and what switches get
converted during GCC bootstrap (this time all languages including ADA)
on i386 Linux. 177 conversions take place (59 twice and 1 once during
the whole process). The exact switches as reported by EXPR_LOCATION
are listed in http://misc.jamborm.net/cswtch.log
That's good data, thanks. Does it make the resulting binary a bit
smaller? If so, how much?
In summer I was not able to measure any compilation/runtime slowdown
that could not be accounted for the noise. I do not expect this has
changed either. However, I will re-measure that too so that I have
Yes, please report on that; if the number is in the noise, that's fine.
I'm not trying to make a lot of work for you; I just think that a
little quantitative data is useful.
(650) 331-3385 x713