This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [4.4] [C++] separate pedwarns and permissive errors.
- From: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer dot com>
- To: Manuel López-Ibáñez <lopezibanez at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at integrable-solutions dot net>, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:42:45 +0100 (CET)
- Subject: Re: [4.4] [C++] separate pedwarns and permissive errors.
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:
> Should I add a little note in gcc-4.4/changes.html ?
Yes, please! Absolutely.
> * The C++ front end now differentiates between pedantic warnings and
> permissive errors. The former are controlled by -pedantic and
> -pedantic-errors, while the latter are errors that can be downgraded
> to warnings. As a result, some diagnostics that used to be errors are
> now just warnings. Please, refer to the GCC manual for further
> information about these options.
How can permissive errors be downgraded to warnings? That is something
I'd also add to this description.
The text looks good to me, but this is a tricky language issue and I am
not a C++ language lawyer, so I hope Gaby or one of our C++ maintainers
can also chime in.